1. SCHOOL SAFETY PLAN: Every school has a safety plan that is updated annually.
2. I.D. BADGES: All staff and students wear identification badges at Griffith Middle School and Griffith High School. All adults wear identification badges in the elementary school buildings.
3. TRAINED ADMINISTRATORS: School administrators have completed Safety Specialists training through the Indiana Department of Education.
4. PREPARED CRISIS TEAMS: Schools have Crisis Teams to address school emergencies. Crisis kits are located in every school office. Emergency response manuals are located in every classroom.
5. EMERGENCY DRILLS: Emergency safety drills are scheduled throughout the year and include tornado, fire, and lockdown exercises for staff and students.
6. LOCKED ENTRIES: Every school utilizes an electronic secure entry system for visitors during the school day.
7. BACKGROUND CHECKS: Every school employee and school volunteer undergoes a criminal history background check.
8. SCHOOL/POLICE PARTNERSHIP: In addition to our two full-time School Resource Officers, the Griffith Police Department works collaboratively with school officials on student safety and security issues.
9. VIDEO SURVEILLANCE: Video surveillance is ongoing inside and outside buildings, and on our school buses.
10. SWIFTK12 Call and Messages: Parents can be immediately notified of an emergency through the schools’ automated calling system.
11. MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS: In addition to school counselors, we have a partnership with Regional Mental Health to provide family access to fully-licensed Clinical Social Workers.
12. K-9 SEARCHES: Regular K-9 searches are conducted at the High School and Middle School, completing precautionary sweeps for illegal drugs and explosives. Area law enforcement departments learn our buildings and gain experience within the school environment.
13. DEDICATED STAFF: Staff throughout the Griffith Public Schools are dedicated to kids. This means extra efforts are made to know our students, to develop relationships with kids so that information may be freely exchanged, and to regularly let the students know we care. Administrators, teachers, bus drivers, foodservice workers, custodians, secretaries, playground supervisors....we all work to provide a safe environment for STUDENT LEARNING.